The Key Stage 4 Options process is changed each year in response to the needs and interests of students and in line with local job market information that we receive from the North East Local Enterprise Partnership (NELEP). Students are carefully guided, to ensure they choose the right courses for them, to allow them to successfully fulfil their ambitions and continue in education, employment or training at the end of Year 11.
The Options process is thorough and counselling is provided throughout Year 9 for students and their parents/ carers to ensure that students carefully consider their choices. The process includes:
- A series of assemblies linked to each subject.
- Work in Personal Development lessons linked to careers and options choices including the use of ‘Start Profile’ (a software program that can link skills and interests to jobs).
- Form Tutor discussions.
- An annual Careers Fair with over 40 employers, further education establishments, training providers and universities. There is an opportunity for parents/carers to attend this fair.
- An Options Evening, which enables students and parents/carers to discuss the content and suitability of the course with subject staff.
- Parents’ Evening, to further discuss suitability of courses.
- A ‘practice’ options choice, which informs the timetable.
- Final options choice, supported with a 1:1 meeting with a member of the Senior Leadership Team for each student. Parents/carers are encouraged to attend these meetings.
- Continuous support and guidance from staff throughout Year 9 to support students.
Please contact Mr Knowles if you would like further information on firstname.lastname@example.org
Please click on links below for further information.